Tuesday, July 10, 2012

iGoogle's Replacement - Symbaloo

Sometimes good things happen when they are least expected.  In this case, the fact that iGoogle is going away made me consider finding a replacement.  Symbaloo (http://www.symbaloo.com) is a great replacement!  It uses tiles instead of having the newspaper appearance that iGoogle provides.  Instead of seeing a snapshot of my calendar, my son's Flickr photos updates, I have to click on a tile to view the content.  In other words, the appearance is more like my iPhone or the new upcoming Windows 8,

Symbaloo is preconfigured with tiles but easily modified.  I added tiles for Google Calendar, Dropbox, and Blogger.  The video from YouTube below provides a brief overview.


3 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne,

    Take the shut down as a blessing in disguise. It's time to upgrade. I know iGoog is functional and efficient but it's time to merge that with the new paradigms of interaction design and user experience.

    Before it shuts down, please give Skim.Me (http://skim.me) a try. I'm a founder and you can email me at wu at skim dot me with what you don't like about it. We make your daily online routine more productive and have been working on this for the past year.

    Your routine sources (not just news feeds and social media) are automatically setup, personalized and managed for you. Browse content from your sources in timed batches throughout the day and see how much you've accomplished, never how many unread you have. Releasing summer 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sybaloo sucks.
    If the site goes down, you go down as wel.
    Non of your shortcuts are accesseble.
    This happend today and happend before and it will happen again.

    ReplyDelete