Monday, October 19, 2009

Embedding a YouTube Video with PowerPoint

My students often challenge me to learn new technology strategies. This past weekend one of the students was trying to figure out how to embed a YouTube video using PowerPoint. I thought it was a terrific idea because there are hundreds of superb videos in YouTube that are relevant to nursing practice and patient education.

I knew that I could use video converting software to download a YouTube video, but I had not considered attempting to incorporate the URL into a presentation. I ventured out to create a PowerPoint presentation as a just-in-time tutorial. I plan to add some interactive questions at the end of the tutorial later.

To solve the problem, I googled the terms and discovered the solution in YouTube! The only snag was that I had a corruption on the computer I was using so it did not have Flash. The lesson I learned is that if Flash is not installed, it will not appear in the PPT Control Box menu. I emailed myself the PPT and used another computer to complete the presentation.

This presentation could be used to extend the information in Chapter 8, Presentation Software: Looking Professional in the Spotlight, of the Thede & Sewell textbook. Although almost all of the younger students feel proficient with the use of PowerPoint, they may not have thought about using YouTube videos.

The PowerPoint presentation is online at http://hercules.gcsu.edu/jsewell/Embedding_a_YouTube_Video.ppt

2 comments :

  1. Great, thanks!
    You can then convert the PPT presntation to video using
    http://www.ppt-to-video-converter.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jenny, I will explore... I see that there is free and commercial version of the converter. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete