Thursday, July 1, 2010

iPad and iWorks

At the onset, I thought that the iPad was a "piece of cake."  I found that I have a lot to learn (and that is a GOOD thing).  I decided to download QuickOffice and Keynote for the iPad.  QuickOffice works with Dropbox, where I have over 2 GB cloud storage space and I am using less than 13%.  Dropbox is an app on all of my devices - desktops, iPhone, iPad, and laptops. QuickOffice does the essentials of creating/editing of word processing and spreadsheet software. 

Keynote gives me two choices for saving files - a folder on my iPad and iWorks.  I was not familiar with iWorks (still in beta).  iWorks provides 1 GB of storage space - free.  I can choose to share a file with a user's email address, but I do not see a way to share a folder, like I do with Dropbox.

2 comments :

  1. Dear Professor Sewell,

    Thank you for this post on iPad and using QuickOffice. Have you tried using fillable forms with checkboxes and droplists in QuickOffice? Or with any other such application like DataViz DocumentsToGo? Contemplating moving to an iTouch for data gathering in the clinical area, but reviews on the software have been 180 degrees out - either users love it or hate it and say stay away... Interested in your experiences on feature/functionality carry over from desktop versions to handheld wireless apps.

    Thank you,

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not used fillable forms in QuickOffice. I have downloaded Zosh to complete forms.

    My experience is that there will always be someone who "hates" a device or app.

    I will be sharing experiences as I learn them to this blog. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete