Saturday, December 15, 2012

More on Malware - Getting rid of Incredibar and MyStart

The other day, when researching free office software, my computer was infected with the malware, Incredibar.  Yes, in spite of the fact that  I have Malware Bytes and AVG antivirus software up-to-date and running!   I unstalled the malware Incredibar app from the Control Panel, but the malware had infected three of my web browsers :-( UGH!  I ran a complete 2 1/2 hour scan on the PC yesterday and found just one adware file.  It was deleted.This morning, I spent time getting rid of MyStart from Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox.  Firefox proved to be the most challenging, but it turned out to be an easy fix.  With Firefox, you actually pull up the configuration window and delete each nasty file.

The amazing thing is that it did not install on Safari!  I had to go into each web browser and change the settings back to my preferred web page.

The good news is that there are several wonderful websites available to guide users to get rid of unwanted adware and malware.

No comments :

Post a Comment