Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Using an External Monitor with the Microsoft Surface Tablet

It is challenging to write a new edition of the Informatics and Nursing textbook while also teaching full-time.  To complicate things, I attempted to switch to Windows 8 using two tablets over the last 4 months. The Dell Venue Pro Enterprise was a disaster.  However, the Microsoft Surface tablet is perfect.  The only problem with the Surface is the very small window for "serious" writing.  Now that I am almost finished with the book, I splurged and purchased a 24" external monitor last week. 

There were a few adjustment problems.  First, I wanted the high definition (HD) component that uses an HDMI cable.  I did not realize that the tablet uses the mini-port, like the MacBook Pro.  I found a mini-port to HDMI cable at Radio Shack, but the input shaft was a little short, so sometimes it would connect and other times not.  I could see when searching the Internet that the connection cable I needed cost ranged from $4.99 to $39.99.  Not wanting to purchase something that did not work and not having the easy access to other stores that are in Macon and Atlanta, I decided to use the 9-pin to mini-port cable I had for the Mac.  I don't have HD, but it provides an interim solution until I find the right cable. 

I was able to change the Device > Project settings on the tablet to Extend the view.  So now I have two windows, one on the tablet and the other on the monitor.  It allows me to view two different documents at the same time, which is exactly what I need when editing a chapter. 

No comments :

Post a Comment