Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Future of Books - Are They Morphing?

As the nursing informatics graduate students and I read about and discuss innovations and leadership, I reflect on changes our world is experiencing as a result of computers and digitization.  One change relates to the print book, the Informatics and Nursing book included.  That said, I own several books that are over 100 year old.  Thank goodness that they are at my fingertips, but they will not last forever.  One is a medical book that serves as a reference on how medical treatment has changed in the last century.  Fast forward another 100 years.  Will those who follow us have access to our writings?

Personally, I am thankful for the Google Print project that allows me access to digitized versions of Florence Nightingale and other visionary nurse leaders.  I wish that I had thought to ask my grandmother what it was like to attend a nursing school about 1910 - or to share with me public health nursing in the Great Fall, Montana area.  So much of our rich nursing history is lost when we do not document it.

My friend and colleague wrote an interesting article.  It is online at http://www.teleread.com/textbooks/whats-happening-to-college-bookstores/

I understand that Lippincott is developing interactive books (in contrast to eBook format that the Informatics and Nursing textbook uses).  The publishing company is also developing prototypes of learning management system courses.  So let's fast forward.  What will the traditional print textbook look like in 10, 20, 50, or 100 years?

No comments :

Post a Comment