Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Some things Access Does Better than FileMaker Pro

I am working on writing the 4th tutorial on using FileMaker Pro. The first "bump in the road" occurred when I attempted to do (in computer geek words) an append query.  FileMaker Pro would not allow me to match the fields.  I even exported the table to Excel and reimported it into FileMaker with no luck. 

Yesterday I ran into another problem.  I have two tables with exactly the same field names.  The second table I created using 84 fictitious names and data.  It is the table that I want to use for a layout already created with other table. FileMaker Pro will not allow me to change the source.  There probably is a way to do that,but it is not intuitive.  On the other hand, Access will allow you to change the table source for forms and reports using a drop-down menu in the properties table. 

FileMaker Pro does work on both the Apple and Windows platform and is somewhat more intuitive to non-computer users once they get used to using the Manage Database, Manage Layouts, and view menus.  If you are familiar with databases, Access allows for more flexibility in the design of the database IMHO.

No comments :

Post a Comment