Saturday, January 19, 2013

Desire 2 Learn (D2L) - A Learning Curve

The last few weeks, I have spent hours redesigning the four courses I am teaching this semester for use with D2L.  The University System of Georgia switched from the legacy Blackboard WebCT Vista as of January.  The timing is challenging for all faculty, not just me.  The students are a part of the learning curve, too.  I had a student phone me last evening, because he could not submit a quiz.  Fortunately, the IT help desk was able to help him.  He left a text message that all was working after he did some additional software updates.. 

I have been using learning management systems for 16 years.  It is not that D2L is not a good platform, it is more about figuring out which buttons to click to make lessons appear (yes, quicklink is my favorite) and how to get quizzes & discussions appear in the electronic grade book.  I am empathetic for other teachers new to learning management systems with the tight timeline that we have had.  The students have been terrific as they struggle to figure out how to navigate the courses. 

No comments :

Post a Comment