Saturday, June 23, 2012

iPad Personal Hotspot using Verizon

Have been at a Hospice House with my mother since Thursday and discovered that the Wifi won't connect.  It did connect with the iPad on Thursday, but not the iPhone or laptop :-(

Needless to say no Internet access results in frustration.  My brother let me borrow his iPhone hotspot but it would time out.  That meant I had to activate the Verizon cellular service account for the first time.  I was using the iPad to access one of my online courses, but responding to students postings was time consuming using the iPad without the bluetooth keyboard.

Setting up the cellular service was just as easy as it had been when using AT&T on the iPad2.  I looked at the Internet for information on how to establish the hotspot.  It looked easy, but it did not work because I was overlooking a simple step.  Fortunately my brother is in the Apple ecosystem, too.  I had not opened Settings > General > Network > Personal Hotspot On.  Once the hotspot was turned on, it showed up in the Settings menu under Wi-Fi.  When I clicked on the Personal Hotspot in the Settings menu, it was on, meaning the hotspot was discoverable.  The Wi-Fi password was displayed. Remember that the hotspot function only works with the New iPad.

So now you might imagine the Hospice room with not one or two iPads, but 5 (brother, sister, mother, me and my son).  You might think that WE brought down the wifi system, but we didn't.  Since we could not get the wireless system to work, only my brother and I were online using our personal hotspots.  

1 comment :

  1. As you adequately put - No internet connection leads to frustration. But due to the availability of services like Verizon, we can proceed safely with our work and all. And from your explanation, it does really sounds very simple to connect. Thanks for sharing this insightful post with us!

    ReplyDelete