Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thinking about Purchasing a New Laptop?

Katie called me yesterday morning from Pennsylvania.  Her 7 year old laptop is on death's door and she needs to purchase a new one.  Her local IT guy said that she needed to spend over $1000.  I knew that she was not doing much other than Quickbooks - especially with  very old computer.  I also knew that tablets were taking a big bite out of the laptop market.  We did some quick searches together and verified that indeed she can find a great laptop for less than $1000 ($500-$800 range). 

Of course, the IT guy was also going to charge her to transfer her files.  My recommendation (since software would have to be are regular install) - go out a purchase a thumbdrive.  She will be able to drag her entire My Documents and My Desktop folders over to the new laptop.  Afterwards, she could use the thumbdrive to back up her essential documents.

No comments :

Post a Comment