Thursday, September 16, 2010

iTunes and Podcasts

One thing I understand about teaching is that the teacher is always a learner.  I am facilitating a Faculty Development Workshop while also participating as a learner.  Last week we introduced podcasting as a multimedia teaching/learning activity.  I am very much a novice when it comes to podcasting, so I worked at applying new learning presented by Drs. White and Isaac!

I spent several hours last weekend learning how to use Keynote (PowerPoint equivalent on the Mac OS) and GarageBand.  I STILL don't know if I was most efficient in the process.  Fortunately, there are multiple tutorials for both apps.  I watched all of the Keynote video tutorials and some of them several times.  Next, I listened to the Garageband tutorial on creating podcasts.

Using the old fashioned trial and error approach, I created my first podcasting video with Mac apps. Afterwards, I uploaded the podcast to the Georgia College podcasting server.  Finally, I opened iTunes and subscribed to the podcast.

If you don't have iTunes on your computer, consider downloading it.  There are hundreds of video and audio podcasts available. Many educational podcasts are free and available through iTunes University.

If you have a moment, consider subscribing to one or more podcasts of your interest.  To subscribe, click on Advanced in the iTunes menu > Subscribe to podcast.  Enter the channel address of the podcast.

You are welcome to experiment with the podcast I created about how to edit citations in Zotero (personal bibliographic manager)  that were imported using the Proquest library database. The channel address is:
itpc://podcasting.gcsu.edu/4dcgi/podcasting/gcsu/channels21876/28928.xml

3 comments :

  1. Question: Do you think the same principle of using Podcasts as a learning tool for Endusers what work as an option along with traditional learning tools for EHR training? When I state traditional learning tools I mean CBTs, written materials and classroom education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Short (no longer than 10 minute videos would be a rich option for training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try the use of Podcast in the hospital setting and get back with you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete