Saturday, September 28, 2013

FTP Software - Trials and Successes

FTP or file transfer protocol software was the main way to use cloud computing sites ten years ago.  It has largely been replaced with cloud apps such as, Dropbox and Google Drive.  Dropbox and Google Drive replicate the experience of having a different storage location on the computer.  In contrast, FTP software triggers the user to login to the remote site.  After logging in, the files and folders of the local computer appear on the left side of the window and the files and folders of the remote site appear on the right side of the window.  You click on files and folder to move them from your local computer to the remote site.  There are no sync capabilities as there are with Dropbox and Google Drive.

I had the FTP address, login and password for the Lippincott site but it did not work with the FTP software on my laptop computer (WS FTP).  I could view the site using the web browser so I knew the address was correct.  That made me believe I needed to find another FTP software.  CNET always provides great reviews of software, so I searched for free FTP software and found WinSCP at http://download.cnet.com/WinSCP/3000-2160_4-10400769.html 

I was able to successful access the remote site with the updated WinSCP software.

No comments :

Post a Comment