Sunday, November 11, 2012

Genealogy

Interesting - one of my hobbies, other than cooking, writing, research, (used to be sewing) and teaching (that could also be noted as my profession :-), is genealogy.  The challenging point for me is my grandmother's Finnish/Swedish family members on my mother's side of the family.  I have made good progress tracing the family using Google translate of Finnish and Swedish websites back to the 1600's.  I do not have verification of all of the family relationships, but have some confidence with the data.  I am very fortunate to have contact with a Finnish cousin who speaks and reads four languages, thanks to the Internet.  Google Chrome has been very helpful identifying websites written in other languages and offering to help translate them. Hopefully, Wayne and I will have an opportunity to visit Finland and meet some our my Finnish cousins.  I am very fortunate to have had a grandmother who sparked the genealogy quest with the help of one of her cousins in the 1960's. In contrast, my father said the no one talked about ancestors for his family.  As a result, I have dead ends at about 1800 with that research.

No comments :

Post a Comment