Thursday, November 29, 2012

eBook Progress

I have been writing an eBook, Introduction to Data Analysis for Healthcare Professionals: Spreadsheet and Database Applications, for several weeks. As noted previously, the plan is to have the book in the Apple iBooks store at no charge.  I plan to use iBooks Author, so for the moment, am writing the book using MS Word.  To prepare the text for iBooks Author, I will save the text as a text file (.txt).  Once the final draft is completed, I will copy the text into iBooks Author.  The next steps will be to add the graphics and video files. I will design the videos as the last.The videos will be created using ScreenFlow.

I am considering publishing a version in the Amazon bookstore as an ePub file.  I will copy the text from MS Word into Apple iWork Pages and save the file in the ePub format. Of course the ePub book will not have the interactive features that are possible with iBooks Author. 

I have chapters about spreadsheets and databases in a good working draft form.  I have started a chapter on using FileMaker Pro tutorials.  I will be covering the following:
  • Spreadsheet software
    • Microsoft (MS) Excel
    • Apple iWork Numbers
    • Google Drive Spreadsheets
    • Free spreadsheet software (desktop and cloud apps)
  •  Database software
    • FileMaker Pro (available for  MS Windows and Mac PCs - about, includes history
    • FileMaker Go
    • MS Access - about, includes history
    • Free database software (desktop and cloud apps)
  • Spreadsheet tutorials for using
    • MS Excel
    • Apple iWork Numbers
    • Google Drive Spreadsheets
  • Database tutorials for using
    • FileMaker Pro for the Mac (MS Windows users should be able to find equivalent menus)
    • FileMaker Go
    • MS Access
I welcome any suggestions for the eBook. 

No comments :

Post a Comment