Sunday, May 20, 2012

Microsoft Access 2010 or Apple Filemaker Pro 12?

I have used and taught others to use Microsoft Access for the past 15 years but must consider changing to Apple Filemaker Pro.  Why? -- because Filemaker Pro is available for both the Mac and the PC.  Furthermore, Filemaker Go is a free app for the iPad.  Finally, Filemaker Pro is must easier to use than Access!

The only plus for Microsoft Access is the cost.  Microsoft Access is one of seven apps available from Office University 2010 for $99.99.  The academic version of Filemaker Pro costs $179.

I am teaching an informatics course this summer and discovered that 1/3 of the students are Mac users.  What it means is that I cannot use the lessons I developed on relational databases using Access 2010.  As a result, I spent time over the last couple of weekends working through the Filemaker Pro tutorial to learn how to use the software.

Although Microsoft Access 2010 is a great improvement over earlier versions, it is still clunky and not intuitive for learners.  There are essentially four different views - tables, queries, forms, and reports.  In contrast, Filemaker Pro allows the user to do the same functions using different "Layouts."

Filemaker Pro is available as a 30 day preview, so I can incorporate it into the course without additional fees for the students.

My next step is to import the tables for the Metabolic Syndrome database I created from Access into Filemaker Pro.  That process should help shed new insight on the differences between the two applications.

5 comments :

  1. PCs will continue to be the platform for business users while the Apple platform will continue to evolve to more of a media center / TV replacement.

    Here's a demo of MS Access running on the iPhone, iPad 2 and in the cloud.

    http://www.help4access.com/ms-access-news/microsoft-access-consulting-firm-help4access-shows-you-how-to-run-microsoft-access-from-the-ipad-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started using Open Office with my informatics students for pretty much the same reason. My Mac students and my PC students that didn't have MS Access had no problems with the assignments I had created based on MS Access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My office is starting to think about changing how we file our paperwork. My boss keeps it old school when it comes to filing, but he's in the process of finding a file maker host. I'm really hoping that we get the new change soon.

    Sara Welsh | http://www.zerobluetech.com/filemaker-hosting/

    ReplyDelete