Wednesday, February 23, 2011

PollDaddy and SoftChalk

  The past two weeks, I used clickers (TurningPoint) in class and the students really liked the anonymous polling.  I decided to try to have a few online class meetings in my legal and ethical issues class - so how to replicate that experience? 

All of my face-to-face classes are "hybrid" classes, meaning that the course resources are all in a learning management system.  I had designed the lessons using SoftChalk, so I needed an online polling solution.  I decided to use PollDaddy.  I selected a court case study from the textbook and entered the questions into PollDaddy - along with some choices for answers.  PollDaddy provides the "code" that you can copy/paste for web pages.  I copied the code and then opened my course lesson in the HTML view - and copied the code.  All I could see in SoftChalk was "Script" buttons.  However, when I previewed the poll in a web browser it looked PERFECT!!  Yesterday I made the announcement to the students that the poll was open.  Today a third of the students have already take the poll and are split 50/50 on the answers.  They are looking forward to hearing feedback about how the case was decided in court. 

Polling, whether done in the classroom or online is phenomenal resource! 

1 comment :

  1. Hi Jeanne,

    Thanks so much for sharing your experience of using clickers, Poll Daddy and SoftChalk to create interactive polls for your students. I'm glad it was such a success!

    ReplyDelete