Sunday, August 22, 2010

Transferring iTunes FIles

I wanted to sync my iPad with my Mac laptop, since both are strictly for work (I had been syncing it with the home PC).  I wanted to continue to synch my iPhone with my home office computer, since they are strictly for personal use. It turned out to be much easier than I anticipated. Note 12/3/2011- the option to create a DVD backup is no longer available on the most recent versions of iTunes (10.3 and later).

I made a backup of the iTunes library on the desktop computer.  iTunes required me to backup to a DVD (actually, it required 2 DVDs).  I opened iTunes on the Mac laptop and inserted the DVDs in the order requested by iTunes. Amazing!  My entire library appeared.

When I synced my iPad, I was warned that I could sync it to only one iTunes account at a time. iTunes asked for permission to sync with the laptop.  Since the files were identical on both devices, I said yes.  iTunes then made a backup of the iPad files, deleted and reinstalled all of the apps on the iPad.

The only problem that I had was an annoying one where the exchange email account causes my iPad to crash.  I correct the problem by deleting and then adding back the exchange account.

Lesson learned - is that iTunes created the backup from the home office computer and installed the backup on the work laptop almost invisibly. From now on, I will worry less about moving iTunes files to a new computer.

No comments :

Post a Comment