Thursday, August 19, 2010

Firewalls

One of the students in my health science informatics course said that she still did not understand the concept of "firewalls." I referred her to one of my favorite websites, How Stuff Works at http://www.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm .

Nurses hear and experience the effects of firewalls, although they may not grasp the rationale for use.  As an example, often our students will be blocked from accessing the Blackboard online learning content from their hospital computers - because of the firewall. 

If you keep your Windows operating system updated, you will receive an alert if Windows notes that your firewall on your personal computer is turned off - and provide a quick link to activate it.  If you have a suite of security software (antivirus) on your computer, a safe configuration will include keeping the firewall turned on. 

My personal visualization of a firewall is analogous to the valve in a vein.  Firewalls prevent unwanted access from the Internet from accessing my computer.  I can access the Internet, but unwanted Internet access is blocked.  That block prevents computer viruses and malware from harming my computer. 

No comments :

Post a Comment