Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cloud Computing Backup Solutions

There are several cloud computing backup solutions available.  Martha told me about Dropbox.  I downloaded it several weeks ago, but never used it until today.  Dropbox is a fantastic solution to my computing needs because I can synch to a remote server in addition to my backup drive. I like the fact that I can access it from any computer where I have it downloaded. I have downloaded the server connection to my home office PC and my iPhone.  It allows me 2 GB of storage space free.

Flor told me about Box.net. Box.net provides off site file storage but not the file synchronization feature.  Box.net does allow for file sharing with others.

Windows Live Office provides off site file storage, but only for Microsoft Office files.  It is certainly a great solution as an extra file backup service for really important files, such as manuscripts, thesis papers, and dissertations.

The malware issue forced me to explore improved synch features. For example, I had all of my standard MERLOT mail merge letters and the associated files on the laptop. Since I loss use of the laptop for 5 days, I got behind on my Editors activities.




.

No comments :

Post a Comment