Sunday, April 24, 2011

NEJM This Week App

New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) has an app for the iPad or iPhone - NEJM This Week.  The app is free and includes numerous articles, images with interpretation, audio summaries of articles, and video tutorials.  The articles are on a variety of topics.  As an example, this week there are articles on implementation of healthcare reform in California, accountable care organizations, and a case study of a 9-month child with liver failure. Examples of videos include blood pressure measurement, chest-tube insertion, and paracentesis.  The videos are pertinent to medical and nursing students.  The quality of the videos is excellent! 

2 comments :

  1. The more you post about I-pad apps the more I want to get an I-pad! I truly enjoy your blog, especially in the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the NEJM with their app, but since I'm not a doctor or nurse I found I had trouble with some of the complex terminology. I wrote an iphone app to help myself clarify the medical terminology while reading and I thought it might be useful to a few of you out there. It's $0.99, but I got 25 free codes for anyone who is interested in trying it out. Email me at travisgerrard(at)gmail.com and I’ll send you the promotion code.

    Scholar Reader is a reading assistant / personal dictionary. You paste an article in to the app and then when you read, if there is a word you don’t know, you double tap for the definition. This definition is then added to your personal dictionary which you can later reference or email to yourself to study offline.

    http://bit.ly/eycVE3

    ReplyDelete