Saturday, February 13, 2010

How to Build a Computer

I remember when my mother was first facinated by the power of a computer (she has one of every type now).  Anyway, I opened up the case on a desktop personal computer to show her the parts of a computer.  Today, I still hear comments from students asking about how a computer works. 

I found a short video on the web site How Stuff Works (one of my favorite sites) that shows how to build a computer at http://videos.howstuffworks.com/howstuffworks/23-computer-tour-video.htm The video explains essential components like the motherboard, CPU, fan, hard drive, ram, video card, power supply, optical drive, and more.  In the video, you can see how all of the components are connected to communicate using flat ribbed flexible plastic ribbons.  You can also see the grouped flexible colored power cords, which are like a Christmas tree extension cord - having several places on the cable to plug in devices (daisy chain connection). 

No comments :

Post a Comment