Saturday, January 2, 2010

Using Web Folders (WebDav)

I remember the first time that I heard the term WebDav, I thought that it was a Geek term and something that I would never need or want to do.  Was I wrong or what!  I am a huge fan of WebDav!  WebDav is a term that indicates that it is possible to have a shortcut to a folder on a remote computer.  The shortcut, located in My Network Places, allows you to synchronize files from your personal computer and the remote computer with using drag and drop. 

When might it be useful?  It depends....  Do you have a wiki, a personal web site, or are you an instructor using a learning management system?  If you have a web site where you must log in and need to upload and download files, check to see if the site supports WebDav. 

As an instructor, WebDav has saved me hours of tedious labor!  That is the good news. 

The caveat (there is always one) is that if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 operating system the setup may be problematic. 

I use the Blackboard learning management system, Windows XP, and Internet Explorer 7.  I was able to "map" to the WebDav folder using my home office computer with Vista OS.  My colleague, who has Windows 7 on her personal computer has been unsuccessful.  I created screenshots for creating a WebDav folder with one of my courses.  You are welcome to download it from
http://hercules.gcsu.edu/jsewell/textbook/WebDav.docx

If you are using Windows 7, you might want to look at the following post http://www.techiechips.com/web-folders-web-disk-webdav-problems-on-windows-7/ to see if it is helpful.  If you have a solution to the problem, please post! 

The old adage, "you can't miss what you never had", is true for the WebDav function.  I never want to return to the time consuming, tedious way of building and editing online courses.

No comments :

Post a Comment